I
Am
The
One at
The wheel
And you have
Your hands on
My shoulders from
Behind the seat. You
tell me that you’re so
dreadfully grateful, you
grin and yell that we are
Leaving and never coming
Back, and I look at your eyes
As they peer into the rearview
Mirror. They are so blue that
I’d gladly never see the sky again
If I could stare into those pools
Of yours. We’ll have more time
Once we pull over for a pit stop,
Of course. Funny to think that I
Found you there on the side of
the road with no belongings but
ripped jeans and a white t-shirt
and combat boots and a dirty
knapsack. You looked so rough
I almost didn’t pull over, but I
Saw your face, gazing into me
Through the windshield, trying
To catch my eye. Then I knew I
Had to pull over to help you. I
Know something’s happened to
You and you don’t have to tell
Me what, but I picked you up for
a reason, and
I want you to
Know that you
can talk to
me if you’d
like to. I didn’t
catch your
name by
the way. My
name is-
What’s in
your hand?
I just saw
something
flash in the
mirror. Never-
mind, it’s
probably my
imagination.
Sorry, I was
Saying, my
Name is- why
Are you…
Why are you
Laughing?

I like.
ReplyDelete