Smelling of morning orange peels and
Lackadaisical nectarines,
you found me quiet, snuggled
beneath antique furrowed linens and
dusty ruffels.
"Don't hide, but seek and ye shall find,"
you say
and set me unwilling and upright,
wiping Sunday sleep dust
from my eyes.
The bedspreads you've knitted
lie bunched and dirty,
tangled around my skinny unshaven
summer legs.
The day is too young for hymns, Grandma.
But none of that. You stand tall,
enveloped in your own fine linens
no thicker
in the peachy breeze
than your lenses.
I breathe shallow when I am near,
you maker of story time,
harbinger of daylight
in the slumbers of my innocence.
I will put on my dress
and wear my sterling cross
I will not let dust gather
at your orthapedic feet
for it, as darling and dainty as you,
will one day be swept
with an orange broom kept
beside the impatient washing machine
and all the linens will wake.

No comments:
Post a Comment